Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Review: Small Country

Small Country Small Country by Gaƫl Faye
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

I struggled a bit with this one. I was excited to receive it as my BOTM selection but did have a tough time getting immersed in it. Someone pointed out that the English publication is a translation fro the original French. Maybe that played a role. I'm not sure.

The story is a difficult one to digest...and fair warning to animal lovers there is one paragraph (only one paragraph) toward the very very end of the book that you will know immediately that you need to skip. For everyone else, it is an absorbing story that will open your eyes ever wider to the struggles of the people of these regions and the power of hate in the world and its impact on a small village of people.

I suspect I will re-read this at some point to catch some things I may have missed as it should be an easier flow on second read. Regardless, I come away with vivid imagery in my head that can never touch on the fear, shock, anger, and disillusion these people faced and had to find a way to make a part of themselves. I don't know how you carry forward from the world they experienced...and some will be forever broken by it. This book broke my heart in so many ways.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment